Elgg and cakePhp are similar in my opinion. They are both MVC
frameworks. Elgg, out of the box, is a social network engine. But it
can be customised to do anything. We're customising our site with Elgg
to work as a standard ecommerce site.

The reason why I ask is that Elgg is not easy to get used to. There is
a very very steep learning curb. Plus, the database uses an EAV model
rather than a relational database model, making it slower and more
confusing in my opinion.

I was wondering would we be better off changing to cakePhp, or even
building our own framework? Is there a very steep learning curve with
cake? Are there performance issues, as there are with Elgg? Can you
design your own database tables and write custom sql with Cake? With
Elgg, its very highly recommended that the database not be touched or
custom sql written..