I figured it out. It was because I had it indented inside of a php
block foreach loop. If I keep it on the same level as the php loop
code thats around it, the tests work fine.

Here's what I originally had that was causing the error:

<?php foreach(): ?>
<?php endforeach; ?>

This is how it should be, no indentation inside the php loop:

<?php foreach(): ?>
<?php endforeach; ?>