If you haven't seen the RoR Screencast: Creating a blog in 15 minutes
with Ruby on Rails, check it out so you have some context to what I'm
asking about here:
http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_take2_with_sound.mov

Now that you've seen how the flash method works within the RoR
controller, I ask: how do I make mine function in that fashion.

The built-in flash layout and controller method in Cake essentially
goes to a blank page, shows the message, then redirects to wherever you
specify.

The RoR flash method seems to put the message at the top of the page
you've redirected to.

Here's my real-world scenario.  I'm building a wiki.  The user is on
the home page.  They click a Login link at the top of the page.  They
redirect to the login form.  They enter credentials.  I need to say
something at the end of the login action that says 'go back to the home
page and flash this message on the screen.'

Can anyone give me a suggestion on that?

Part 2 of my question:
I want to make the message have something to draw attention to it, so
the user will be encouraged to read it, but then have it become more
subtle.  Ta-da list does this.  When I click 'Add' to add my new item
to the list, it adds itself to the list with a yellow background, then
fades out to white.  I want to do the same thing.  I assume that I
would just do this using a library like scriptaculous or Yahoo UI
Library, but if Cake has some built-in way of achieving that, I'd like
to hear about it.

Thanks for reading my long question!  Peace.