Hi Grant,
was just digging into the mysql transaction problem...
It seems if you are using PHP5, you can directly use model->begin,
commit and rollback. Every unknown method of your model is directly
dispatched as a database query (cake uses the __call function to
"catch" unknown methods).
The more correct way is certainly to use the internal structures which
need to be patched...

Cake is a nice framework, but transactions should have a high priority
on the feature list as they are necessary for complex applications.