That had some effect, but made something else break.  I added...

$params['fields'][] = 'Project.contact_id';

to force the contained relationship foreign key to be included, and it
completed the query, but then the virtualField defined in the
Project::__construct() method stopped working and I would get an "index
does not exist error" for the displayField.  (even after making sure that
it remained in the fields list)

$this->displayField = 'displayName';

What I mostly don't get why it works from other plugins by not this
particular plugin when they both make calls to the Project model.