Ok, as I have it works.  Yay!

The thing that was tripping me up was that the pagination ran _after_ the
search.

This is how view_admit_lookup is now.

    function view_admit_lookup() {
        $this->helpers['Paginator'] = array('ajax' => 'ajax');
        // provide pagination for the user.
        $this->set('provider', $this->paginate());

        // here we begin searching for whatever we need.
        if(!empty($this->data['Provider']['last_name'])) {
            $this->set('provider', $this->Provider->find('all',

array('conditions' =>
                                                                array(

'Provider.last_name LIKE' => $this->data['Provider']['last_name'].'%'))));
        }

        // set the title and the default layout.
        $this->set('title_for_layout', 'Admit Lookup');
        $this->layout = 'default';
    }