Hello all

After messing up with the installation of CakePHP 2.0x in a Shared
Hosting environement,
searching for solutions and playing around with different suggestions,
that did not
appear as a solution, I tried to catch the real problem.

Ok. That's now my way to ask for a solution

1.  I installed both branches :  1.3.13 and 2.01 onto the the Host

2.  I put a copy of default home.ctp into my app/view/pages and
changed the
    original a little bit to print out the settings instead of the
links
    given in the original.

3.  I changed the three .htaccess adding RewriteBase as suggested by
Cake
    so the only difference between them is the last RewriteRule
showing
    index.php?url=$1 in version 1.3.13
    index.php?/$1    in version 2.0.1

4.  I set my domainroot in both cases to : mydomain/app/
webroot

5.  Starting with 1.3.13 everything works fine calling either
    www.mydomain or www.mydomain/pages/home

    Setting WWW_ROOT : path-to-cake13/app/webroot/
    Setting ROOT : path-to-cake13
    Setting APP_DIR : app
    Setting WEBROOT_DIR : webroot
    Setting CORE_PATH :
    Setting CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH : path-to-cake13
    Setting include_path : path-to-cake13:path-to-cake13/app/:.:/usr/
local/lib/php

6.  Starting with 2.0.1 it's getting weird

    www.mydomain is ok  showing these settings

    Setting WWW_ROOT : path-to-cake20/app/webroot/
    Setting ROOT : path-to-cake20
    Setting APP_DIR : app
    Setting WEBROOT_DIR : webroot
    Setting CORE_PATH : path-to-cake20/lib/
    Setting CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH : path-to-cake20/lib
    Setting include_path : path-to-cake20/lib:.:/usr/local/lib/
php

    www.mydomain/pages/home  comes up with Missing Controller Message

    looking at the source of the generated html, I found this for
example

        <link href="/pages/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" rel="icon" />
    <link href="/pages/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" rel="shortcut
icon" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/pages/css/
cake.generic.css" /></head>

In my opinion the change from Url to Path had some implications that
are not yet
reflected through all of your code. But you are the one, that can find
the
real answer.

Cake is great.

You may help a lot of people, I think, if you can solve this problem.
Hope my notes above are helpfull for you.

Bernhard