Hello,

I'm trying to work out a good system to get at ACL data in my views,
and while the net & list archives have a handful of tips and partial
solutions, I haven't found anything conclusively helpful.

The most promising approaches I've seen add code to the login function
to compile a list of the user's permissions to store in a session var,
and then incorporate a helper to check against this when needed on the
front end. However, that lookup code all uses lots of digging into the
actual acl->aco->etc. hierarchy, or deals directly with the tree
behavior, and feels overwrought in compared to the ease of
$this->Acl->check( $aro, $aco, $action = '*') in a controller action.

So, my questions:

a) What's the overhead of the ACL Component's check() method? ie:
would calling it in a controller action for a page a few times mean
lots of db thrash, or is there some smart caching involved?

b) Does anyone have a working solution they're pleased with? A clean
method to stash a users permissions would be super-useful!

thanks!

-e