Barricades, welcome to the community!

If you are so new to CakePHP and JavaScript then I would suggest
sticking to plugins and helpers that other people within the community
use, this way you are much more likely to get support.  I certainly
would not go and learn how to use the script above so I could then
educate you on how to use it, but a quick Google search shows there
are various existing image upload tools available for CakePHP along
with tutorials on how to set them up:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cakephp%3Dimage%2Bupload

HTH, Paul.