Maybe php5-mysql support not enabled ? You could try a plain php file to test
without cakephp

<?php
mysql_connect("localhost", "admin", "secret") or die(mysql_error());
echo "Connected to MySQL<br />";
mysql_select_db("cake") or die(mysql_error());
echo "Connected to Database";
?>

'Andras Kende
http://www.kende.com