OK, looks like what I am after is the app_controller.php file. I want
to display some statistics, name of the user etc in the header. The
rest of the page should be displayed if the user is authorized to view
the particular section (as set by ACL) Only if not authorized at all,
should the user be redirected to a login page.

I thought I could give Cake a try to see if I could find an elegant way
of handling the abovementioned scenario.