Hey,

My recommendation would be to look at the solution that jrbasso has created for
CakePHP 2.0: https://github.com/jrbasso/json_plugin
It has extensive installation and usage information, making it dead easy to use.

This is a custom view class that allows you to eliminate the need for a view
(ctp) file for common json output.
If your data is in the right format, and you are just doing a json_encode() in
the view, then the section in his readme (see link above) entitled "Directly
from your Controller" is what you are after.

This has the response generated directly in the controller, and is easy to use.
You just need to set a 'json' variable in the controller, and have told your
controller to use the 'Json.Json' view class, and you're done!

The functionality he has should be able to be back ported to CakePHP 1.3 if you
are using that.

Cheers,
Graham Weldon
http://grahamweldon.com