This worked in 1.3:

a file called "icq_lib.php"
    App::import('Vendor', 'Tools.icq/icq');

    class IcqLib extends Icq {}

you could then App::import('Lib', 'IcqLib') and use the IcqLib class
right away

But in 2.0 most library classes are now in packages inside /Lib
In my example "/Lib/PackageName/IcqLib.php"
So 99% of all classes will be included using App::uses('IcqLib',
'PackageName');

But this will result in:
    Fatal error: Class 'Icq' not found

So we would have to stick to the App::import() on this one.

The question is:
Why would we need to "know" if the class itself does extend vendor
files and why would we need to distinguish between different package
files.
This feels like an inconsistency. Loading some classes with App::uses
and some with App::import - although maybe in the same package inside /
Lib.
As soon as we do extend a vendor file we have to change all
occurrences of uses back to import etc. Quite annoying.