False Alarm. I started messing with the css file and changed the
background color
This showed that the css WAS working, but that the default color was
way bad.

This change works..
====== 8< ======
/** General Style Info  **/
body {
  /**  background: #003d4c;  WAY TOO DARK **/
        background: #99ff33;
        color: #fff;
        font-family:'lucida grande',verdana,helvetica,arial,sans-serif;
        font-size:90%;
        margin: 0;
}

Cake should change this default!