This won't affect your theme assets if you follow the book, and symlink them to
your web root:
http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/views/themes.html?highlight=symlink#increasing-performance-of-plugin-and-theme-assets

"
it’s recommended that you either symlink or copy out plugin/theme assets to
directories in app/webroot with paths matching those used by cakephp.
app/Plugin/DebugKit/webroot/js/my_file.js becomes
app/webroot/DebugKit/js/my_file.js
app/View/Themed/Navy/webroot/css/navy.css becomes
app/webroot/theme/Navy/css/navy.css

"

Cheers,
Graham Weldon