I found the problem by running this script with the command line php:

<?php
$dsn = 'mysql:host=localhost;dbname=test_db';
$username = 'myuser';
$password = 'mypasswd';
$options = array(
         PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_INIT_COMMAND => 'SET NAMES utf8',
         );

         $dbh = new PDO($dsn, $username, $password, $options) or
die(mysql_error);;
echo "\nConnected to Database\n";
?>

Even though I specified "pdo_mysql.default_socket = /var/tmp/mysql.sock" in
php.ini, by default mysql PDO seems to look for /tmp/mysql.sock.

The solution is to specify the socket in the database.php:

      'unix_socket' => '/var/tmp/mysql.sock',

Hopefully someone finds this info useful.