the upgrade shell does what its name says :)
it tries to upgrade you existing code (first moving files, then
changing the content as necessary).

so
a) drop in the new core in trunk/lib/Cake
b) enable the plugin etc in bootstrap with CakePlugin::loadAll()
c) start the console at /trunk/app
d) run the shell
e) manually make the rest work

for further information on what it does you can easily look into the
file itself
hopefully you will find all your questions answered then. after all,
it is not a blackbox.