I have an image table that is related to a gallery table via a
gallery_id field.  There is a user_id field on the gallery table.  In
the delete function in the image_controller I want to test whether the
user has authorisation to delete the image, by fetching the user_id
from the gallery table and comparing it to the logged on user.  How in
the delete function do I reference the user_id?  I've tried alsorts of
ways including actually fetching the related gallery record with the
find method, none seem to work for me.

I tried setting the recursive variable within the delete function.  I
tried using $this->data['Gallery']['user_id'] and also $this->Image-
>Gallery('user_id') but both gave an error:
Warning (512): SQL Error: 1054: Unknown column 'Image.user_id' in
'field list' [CORE\cake\libs\model\datasources\dbo_source.php, line
684]

Thanks.