with cakes defualt upgrade shell I have been able to cd to the plugin
and then run upgrade  (for me I run the subcommands one at a time as I have
a plugin that won't be found and it will fail at helpers -- I suspect that
this won't be the case for you but if you have issues run them 1by1)

with Marks upgrade plugin I have been able to use "-p" to set name (and it
ignore plugins unless directed)

 - S