I'm having troubles with the Auth component using CakePHP 1.3

I expected the following to work:

<?php
class AppController extends Controller {

    var $components = array('Auth');

    function beforeFilter() {
        $this->Auth->fields = array(
            'username' => 'email',
            'password' => 'password'
            );
        $this->Auth->loginError = "Wrong!";

?>

<?php
class UsersController extends AppController {

    var $name = 'Users';

    function login() {
    }

    function logout() {
        $this->redirect($this->Auth->logout());

?>

Yet it won't authenticate correctly until I move the beforeFilter() from
AppController and put it in the UsersController, along with adding "var
$components = array('Auth');" which the Cake Book says: "Not necessary if
declared in your app controller" which appears to be incorrect.

I want to declare all the Auth variables in the AppController so that they're
site-wide, but it doesn't work when I do. Any suggestions one what I've done
wrong?

Thanks!

Clint