Thanks all.  I've looked at the MSeven solution and other consoles but
was looking something more interactive.

Basically a user selects a job that processes N tasks.  Right now the
'waiting' message sits there and the user is unaware of where in 1..N
they are.  I have not succeeded in showing each of these N tasks being
run using the ob_flush technique inside of CakePHP.  I thought that if
I passed the N tasks to the view and let the Javascript in the view
run each of those N jobs using Ajax that I would be able to give user
more indication of where in 1..N they are.

I thought this was so simple that I was either missing something huge
or I was reinventing the wheel.