since you are new to cake I will outline a common approach on this
pretty quick:

you would only use one app (not two - bad idea, too much redundancy)
you would then use an "admin" prefix which allows you to distinguish
between
- user sections: /controller/action/
- admin sections: /admin/controller/action

this gives you exactly what you need with cake build in stuff without
having to wry about above problems.