I began a project three months ago with 1.x. I think there are more
plugins, behaviors, etc... you can reuse from the bakery for the 1.x
version.
I also think that the enhancements in 2.x are not so important if you
are begining a small project compared with the time you can save
reusing code.
When versión 2.x gets more mature I may consider migrating to that
version, but It will take time and a lot of tests.

I think the main thing, that is the way you have to code, the MVC
architecture and the main components and helpers, remain nearly the
same in both versions, so if you don't have to do something very
strange, it shouldn't be a hard task to migrate to 2.x when you have
to.

Regards,
Pedro.