Well, if you have your DEBUG set to 2 you can see the SQL generated,
and the amount of time each query takes to execute.  It wouldn't be
difficult to test the performance critical parts of your app using
custom SQL - but I doubt just replacing SQL will be much difference.

And don't forget the $recursive parameter for your model, and that with
a value of -1 no additional JOINs are performed.

The part I'm intrested is taht are those autogenerated joins