I am attempting to use the same input form for both add and edit
actions.

echo $this->Form->create('Clon');

So, when I create the form as above, then access the output via both
add and edit actions I see the following html generated:

<form action="/GPDdev/clons/add"
        id="ClonEditForm"
        method="post"
        accept-charset="utf-8">
<input type="hidden"
        name="_method"
        value="POST"/>

<form action="/GPDdev/clons/edit/18"
        id="ClonEditForm"
        method="post"
        accept-charset="utf-8">
<input type="hidden"
        name="_method"
        value="PUT"/>

Now, if I understand the cookbook correctly,
(http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/core-libraries/helpers/form.html)
the hidden input field is generated to override the default HTTP post
method with the appropriate POST or PUT method.

Which it appears to do. Am I correct so far?

So again, why is the condition on the edit function this:
        if ($this->request->is('post') || $this->request->is('put'))

and not this?:
        if ($this->request->is('put'))

McS