Im working on a setup at the moment which does what you need by using http_host in the global web root but its done inefficently. It merges full apps together..

Im using 'nuts and bolts' method of running multiple apps from one cake folder. I have then developed a plugin which is shared between all the apps, this holds shared functionality and admin is done in one place.

Sent from my iPhone