Finally got it to work... What was missing?

Did not know that I have to add "Form" and "Html" Helpers to the $helpers
array like this:

        var $helpers = array('Forms', 'Html', 'MenuBuilder.MenuBuilder');

After reading the documentation several times I finally found this small
sentence:

    "Remember to include the default Html and Form helpers"

Too bad this important piece of information was not more obvious (eg. big
red letters :-)