If you want to use your own layout you must add a file called default.ctp
into layouts folder (inside your apps View folder). This will override
cakes default layout, you'll have to setup your default layout though. Then
you can define your own css stylesheets, add them into the css folder of
your webroot. Then inside your views you can echo
$this->Html->css(array('mycssstyle')); and it will format it correctly and
link to the correct css file in your webroot css folder.