You need to change the image if you don't want to give people access
to the original.  "Right-click" and saving an image isn't the only way
to see an image from a website - there wouldn't be anything stopping a
person from looking at the image html that's generated from CakePHP
and downloading from there.  In fact, they wouldn't even need to wade
through your html.  If they're using Firefox, they could just go Tools
-> Page Info, click on the "media" tab and see nothing but the media
that's on the page, perfectly set out for them with image previews, a
"save as" button and everything.

There would be a lot ways to still get the image, even if you put
another, blank image over it.

Watermarking is probably the best idea.

Dave