Oh. Well I had a HABTM setup originally, but I need to store additional
information with the associations – so not just user_id and survey_id, but
additional fields (date_assigned, survey_priority). As far as I know,
you're not allowed to add columns to the HABTM join table.

That's why I changed to a hasMany Through