Is there any way to make this work? As I understand it you have to
enable Search.Searchable in the $actsAs, and define $filterArgs for each
Model, then add Search.Prg to $components and define $presetVars in the
Controller.

Then in your .ctp file you put something like this:

echo $this->Form->create('MyModel', array('url' =>
array_merge(array('action' => 'find'), $this->params['pass'])));
echo $this->Form->input('search', array('div' => false));
echo $this->Form->submit(__('Search', true), array('div' => false));
echo $this->Form->end();

But this allows you to search in one Model at a time. Is there any way to
define a search form with one search field and have it look in various
fields within various Models?

Thanks
Bob