I vaguely remember something about a Pear channel but haven't used it.
I don't know why the structure would be different. Go here for the
goods:

https://github.com/cakephp/cakephp/archives/2.1

You'll get an archive -- and subsequent folder -- with Git's supremely
annoying naming convention but the current stable is indeed 2.1.3.