We are migrating our site from Cake 1.1 to 2.1 or 2.2. The site is highly
modular which gives the site admins the ability to choose and position
modules on each landing page. Many of these modules are mini MVC blocks and
we are using requestAction to render them. So there can be as many as a
dozen requests on a page, which as the documentation points out, can be
slow as Cake initializes a new environment for each request. The
documentation talks about being able to specify the controller/action
directly, to bypass the router, but that does not work, the code just uses
the router to convert the request to a URL before creating a new dispatcher.

I'm wondering if there is a lighter weight way of calling multiple MVC
blocks in a single request? I have been looking at the new event manager,
but it is not clear whether it can be used to render a view. I'm curious
whether anyone else has had the same problem and come up with a better
method?

Incidentally the new view blocks in 2.1 are great and really work well for
a modular design.

Thanks

Mark