Hi everybody,

I had almost the same problem some weeks ago. I read an article saying that
HABTM is making some trouble from time to time and that it might be a
better solution to split the HABTM relationship into a belongsTo and
hasMany relationship. I changed my model User and UsersGroup and added for
each model a BT and HM relationship - and it worked. I just had to call
$this->Membership->find(...);

Maybe this approach is working for you, too.
See this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11127028/best-way-to-bypass-cakephps-habtm-auto-magic
and this:
http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/models/associations-linking-models-together.html#hasmany-through