you can very well implement HABTM for users--modules relationship simplly
including the owner as a user.
Further in the controller or view,give condition for only owner to be able
to edit. Or u can  give a column as user_id in the module table, to track
the owner of the modules, but if u go for HABTM, u can nytime change
the privileges for the users in the future.