I am building a new system in cake and I want to heavily use the WHMCS api
but I am not sure where to start, I haven't written a component before
(still new to cakephp)

I found this online but it is quite old and errors out a fair bit, I assume
it's built for cake 1.x, I am using the latest version of 2.21.

OLD WHMCS COMPONENT:
http://awnist.com/blog/2009/04/09/cakephp-whmcs-module-interacting-with-whmcs-api-via-cake/

The first initial error I get when I install this component is:

Fatal error: Class 'HttpSocket' not found in
C:\wamp\www\beanclaim\app\Controller\Component\WhmcsComponent.php on line *
53*

Any idea what I need to do for this?

It comes from here (of the code at the link above):

var $last_result = Array();
function __construct() {
$this->Http = new HttpSocket();  (LINE 53)
}

Thanks
Adam