Or, if there is a connection between Users and People, set up a new association
in the User model - say, ActivePerson - and set a condition on it:

var $hasMany = array(
        'ActivePerson' => array(
                'className' => 'Person',
                'conditions' => array(
                        'ActivePerson.active' => 1
                )
        )
);

Then make all your finds against the User model instead of the Person model:

$people = $this->User->ActivePerson->find('all');

Might not be quite as clean, but it' works well.