cricket:

Ahhhh. That was it. So, it makes sense doesn't it, that when you're in the
model you do not need to reference the model, so  $this->getPath(...)  is
enough. So, in MVC terminology, I'm using the model to retrieve the data.

re: Set, although I had read about it, I also was not getting the
significance of set to the MVC pattern. I assume that is the main reason,
for instance, that I would not be calling a function FROM the view: it's
more like the Model and Controller are pushing (I'm sure there's a better
word) the data to the view.

Now, in my case, the $id value for a particular topic is available in the
view or edit action, but not in the index or add action. So you've really
helped me with making the "level" variable available to the view or edit
action. What if, however, for the index page, I had the $id available, but
only via a request param. Would that be a case where set would not work and
I would have to somehow call the getLevel function right from the view?
Ahhhh. I guess I do have $id available, in the index action, via $id =
$this->request->params['named']['id']; Then I could go ahead and
use $this->set('level', $this->TopicTree->getLevel($id)); Does that make
sense? I'll have to try that!

As you can see, I'm trying to get my head around MVC patterns, how they
play out on the practical level. Thank you, cricket and others, so very
much, for helping me to do this!

Kevin