Im new to cakePHP and the whole table relations concept is very confusing!

I have 2 tables, competencies and competenceRatings. competencies stores a
list of names with ids.

    competencies
    ------------
    id
    name

And users can select various competencies from this table and rate them and
their ratings are stored into competenceRatings table.

    competenceRatings
    -----------------
    id
    competence_id
    user_id
    rating

I want to be able to get the names of competencies for which a user have
NOT made any ratings into competenceRatings table. i.e., I need list of
names from competencies table for which there are no entries in
comptenceRatings table(for given user_id).

I tried competencies->hasMany->competenceRatings,
competenceRatings->belongsTo->competencies relations.

$competencies =
$this->Competence->CompetenceRating->find('all',array('CompetenceRating.user_id'

=> $userId,'CompetenceRating.competence_id !=' => 'Competence.id'));

But no use!

Does this result require any other relations? Or can i just join tables
using joins condition in find query?

Thanks.