Hi,

On Dec 4, 2:27 pm, "Larry E. Masters aka PhpNut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> The main increase comes from the lazy loading of models. Previous versions
> of CakePHP loaded all the models in the models directory. This functionality
> made access to models easier, but came at the expense of valuable processing
> time. The change results in a need to make sure you loadModel('ModelName');
> if you use $ModelName = new ModelName() somewhere in your code. We have seen
> several examples, particularly in reference to components creating model
> instances. This was not recommended practice, so remember that you need to
> load the model now if you plan on creating an instance.

I had a patch for lazy-loaded models that I have been using for some
time now.

Details here:

http://abing.gotdns.com/posts/2006/lazy-loaded-models-for-cakephp/

Patch is here:

http://abing.gotdns.com/cake/diffs/000010-lazy-loaded-models.diff

The current mainstream implementation breaks client code that relies on
the previous model loading behavior (all models loaded). But that can
be fixed easily for most apps. My solution was to create a separate
directory for models that were lazy-loaded so that client code that
relied on the mainstream model loading behavior continued to work
without problems.

Anyway, it's great that models are now lazy loaded by default in the
mainstream version. One question though: are plugins able to take
advantage of lazy-loading as well?

Thanks and keep the good stuff coming!

--
_nimrod_a_abing_