I'm trying to add a settings panel in the admin section of a cakephp build.
I've been following this:
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/iamcam/2008/10/26/simply-storing-config-values-in-the-db
.

 I have everything working except it seems it will only read data from the
model but won't save it to the DB. I'll warn I'm a bit new to cakephp so be
prepared:

Here is the controller action which is on my main_controller:
 function admin_set_val($val = null) {

//Configure::write('MyApp.val',$val);
$this->Setting->id = 1;
$this->Setting->saveField('val', $val);
 //$this->Setting->writecfg();
//*$this->Setting->read(null, 1);
$this->Setting->set('val', 'newvalue');
$this->Setting->save();*/
 //$this->Setting->saveField('val', 'asdfsdfsd');
 //$data = array('id' => 1, 'val' => 'winter');
// This will update Recipe with id 10
//$this->Setting->save($data);
//$myVar = Configure::read('MyApp.val');
 $this->Session->setFlash('val updated to '.$myVar);

}

I've limited posting everything so as not to span. Again, it will read no
problem with this "myVar = Configure::read('MyApp.val');"  and the myVar
passes successively to the flash message, but the DB is not catching any
error. I find there is no way (you can see all the commenting I have) to
commit a change to the "val" field in the settings table/model.  Sigh.