Hey folks, strange problem here with Cake 2.2.1

When I have an error or exception, whether in debug mode 0 or 1, it
successfully renders my default layout, but a bunch of variables have not
been set in the view, because the chain of method execution never calls my
AppController::beforeRender().  I thought the default error handling
behavior was supposed to fire this to prevent this problem of view vars not
being set.  I tried to overwrite some error rendering (similar to
discussion in this
post<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9041289/cakephp-2-0-beforefilter-not-run-on-cakeerrorcontroller>,

the solution of which simply does not work for me) by creating
CakeErrorController.php and returning parent::beforeRender() but this,
strangely, creates an infinite loop.

I cannot figure this one out!  Help!