I read my post, and it seemed confusing, so let me try to clarify.
I have a plugin, that has some basic functionality, but I need to add things
to it.
I see 2 options.
1) install and modify code to meet my needs. But this creates 2 plugins.
Original & modified.
or
2) install but use some callbacks or other tricks to add a layer to plugin
to use new fields in table, add some other things like belongsTo or
validation. so, that the Plugin remains unchanged, but all the enhancements
are in the app?   The idea being I can replace the Plugin with a new
version, and the app should still work. I would not have to redo all my
edits.

Is #2 possible?

Thanks,
bill