After spending some time looking into it, I would say that the problem
is related to the mode in which helpers are loaded. I haven't checked
this too thouroughly, but it seems that helpers are loaded secuentally
and their __contruct() methods executed. That means that you can't
actually use other helpers -not in a reliable way- in your helper's
contructor.

Hope this helps someone, it took me a while to figure this out.