When AppController::beforeFilter() runs, it knows only about the
methods in AppController.

If you want to have dedicated actions for each controller then you
need to specifically allow() them in each controller. Your controller
action might in turn call parent::TellAFriend() which is a method in
AppController, but Auth won't care about that. The only thing that
matters in terms of whether you can call it is that it's not a private
method. Auth only handles actions that Dispatcher dispatches to.

---