What I usually do, is that when I choose an item to view - in your case,
the kanji - I store the chosen id in the session. Then any other action I
can do from the View page that concerns the current kanji, just grabs the
id from the session. No need to use a hidden field, that a user migth
change in the browser.

The id is removed from the session, when I return to the list.

Enjoy, John

On Tuesday, 27 November 2012 10:29:04 UTC+2, Jeff Smith wrote:

> I am working on a site to help me (and hopefully others) learn Japanese
> kanjis.  The site is located at http://galacticcartel/kanjis (temporary
> url).
>
> I want to make it so when I am viewing a kanji (example
> http://www.galacticcartel.com/kanjis/view/1) and I click New example I
> would like the kanji field to auto populate with the correct id (which I
> would hide).

---