I am using CakePHP 1.3.  I have a helper which prints out the navigation
menus.  Depending on which top level menu is selected the appropriate sub
menu is displayed.  I want to be able to know on the next page view which
menu / sub menu was previously displayed.  I thought to accomplish this by
writing a session variable from my helper.  However, I am getting the error
that session data cannot be written from a view.  Can anyone suggest an
alternative way of accomplishing this?

I don't really understand why, if I can read Session information in the
view, am I not able to write Session information in a view.

Pointers to appropriate resources or hints and tricks would also be
appreciated.

Thanks.

---