Thanks for the feedback,

What I ended up doing is not optimal but it works.

App Controller:

public function beforeFilter() {

                                if($this->request->is('ajax') &&(
!$this->AuthUser->status())){

                                                $response = array(

                                                                'login' =>
true,

                                                                'message' =>
'You have been logged out. Please login to continue.');

$this->_ajaxResponse($response);

And in my js since most run off the same function for returning data:

Snip:

success: function(r){

                forceLogin(r);

so if the forceLogin === true as determined in the JSON response it simply
redirects to login

function forceLogin(r) {

                if(r.login && (r.login === true)){

                window.location.href="/login";

                }

};

Still open to better ideas / methods but for now it works so that's all that
matters J

Dave