OK, trying to get to square 1 here.  I am trying to do the intro tutorial
on a Mac OS X 10.8 system with apache2 and php 5.4, with the cakephp loaded
onto my user folder on localhost (http://localhost/~stevel/biz)

I have gone through the steps to enable mod_rewrite as described in the
tutorial.  I have confirmed that the LoadModule for rewrite is not
commented out.

I am getting the following error when I try to go to
http://localhost/~stevel/biz/index.php

Not Found

The requested URL /Users/stevel/Sites/biz/app/webroot/index.php was not
found on this server.

However, the file is *actually* *there*!!!

$ pwd
/Users/stevel/Sites/biz/app/webroot
$ ls -la
total 40 (all but 2 removed from the listing here)
-rwxrwxrwx   1 stevel  staff   294 Sep 12 22:06 .htaccess
-rwxrwxrwx@  1 stevel  staff  3185 Aug 30 13:03 index.php
As you can see, I've set everyone to rwx for now.

here's my httpd.conf settings per the tutorial:
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
#    Order
deny,allow

#    Deny from
all

</Directory>

here's my .htaccess at the various directory levels:

$ pwd
/Users/stevel/Sites/biz
$ cat .htaccess
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteBase /Users/stevel/Sites/biz
   RewriteRule    ^$ app/webroot/   [L]
   RewriteRule    (.*) app/webroot/$1   [L]
</IfModule>

$ cd app
$ cat .htaccess
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /Users/stevel/Sites/biz
    RewriteRule    ^$    webroot/    [L]
    RewriteRule    (.*) webroot/$1    [L]
</IfModule>

$ cd webroot/
$ cat .htaccess
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /Users/stevel/Sites/biz
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^(app/webroot/)?(img|css|js)/(.*)$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

I've seen other posts that suggest that this issue comes up about once a
week, but I'm hoping that someone will point a newbie at some resource that
talks about the specifics issues for my situation.  THANKS!

---