From: cake-php@googlegroups.com [mailto:cake-php@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Reuben Helms
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 8:45 PM
To: cake-php@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Production and Development Environment

Trying one more time...

The requirement is that in production, you need to authenticate to get
access to the API, and that in development, no authentication is required.

The assumption is that the authentication will be session based, with a form
based login action.  There has been mention of a .htaccess file, but it
wasn't clearly stated if this was used to provide authentication via Basic
Authentication.

In the AppController, I would have:

public function beforeFilter() {

    /* set up Authentication */

    if (!Configure::read('developmentMode')) {

        $this->Auth->deny(); /* a default deny for all actions, when not in
developmentMode */

    }  else {

        $this->Auth->allow(); /* a default allow for all actions, when in
development mode */

And then in any controller, I would have:

public function beforeFilter() {

   parent::beforeFilter();

   /* the remainder of your code, to allow actions, and lift authentication
restrictions for particular actions */

}

In production, this will ensure that all actions are denied by default, to
be overridden by specific controllers.

In development, this will set up a default allow for all actions.

It's been a while since I've actually played with the CakePHP 2.X Auth
stuff, but that's the general idea I was going for.

Best of luck finding a solution.

Regards

Reuben Helms